Chocolate Candied Orange Peels
PREP TIME: 10 mins COOK TIME: 45 mins INACTIVE TIME: 24 hrs. TOTAL TIME: 8 hrs.to 24 hrs. 55 mins
SERVINGS: 18 servings (approximately 3 cups)
- 3 oranges, recommend organic
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for coating
- 1 to 2 cups chocolate
- Gently wash the outside of the oranges under the faucet with a vegetable brush.
- Use a knife to slice off a very small amount on the top and bottom of the orange, then score the orange through the peel to the pith (without cutting through the orange), making 4 cuts lengthwise.
- Carefully remove each section of orange peel, then slice into 1/4-inch wide strips.
- Add the orange peel strips to a pot and cover with about an inch of water. Bring this to a boil, then drain over a colander and repeat once more.
- Add the orange peel strips back to the pot along with 2 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for about 30-35 minutes. The orange peels should be slightly translucent and most of the simple syrup will have evaporated. Turn off the heat and let the orange peel cool in the remaining sugar for 5 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the orange peel to a drying rack set over parchment paper. Let the orange peel dry for at least 8 hours, preferably 24 hours.
- Coat the orange peel in additional granulated sugar and dip them in chocolate and cool.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Other citrus fruits scraps such as lemons and limes can be used for this recipe too.
Do not skip the double boil in step 4, this gets rid of the bitterness.
Use the peelings leftover from your orange peels or other citrus fruits after to make a smaller batch.
SERVING: 4pieces (without chocolate), CALORIES: 86.8kcal, CARBS: 22.4g, PROTEIN: 0.3g, SODIUM: 0.9mg, FIBER: 2.4g, SUGAR: 19g